So, what happens when someone calls you on airplane mode? Everyone wants a break from stressful schedules or a very tiring day.
Putting your phone on airplane mode provides that needed rest from the never-ending cycle of buzzing alarms and continuous conversations. You are also told to use this feature on flights so that the call signals will not interfere with the airplane’s control system.
However, the Airplane mode function on Android and iPhones covers other things apart from calls.
So, before you go ahead and turn ON airplane mode either to take a break or for any other reason, it helps to know what happens when someone calls you on airplane mode, whether on an Android or an iPhone device.
What Happens When Someone Calls You on Airplane Mode for Android And iPhones?
When someone calls you on airplane mode on iPhone and Android phones, it simply says that the line is not reachable or unavailable. The situation would look as if your phone was switched OFF or the user is in an area with a poor connection. This is why it is a handy tool when you’re looking for a bit of relaxation without disturbances from your phone.
On the other hand, you can still turn ON your WiFi and Bluetooth manually even while airplane mode is on, so if the calls are over the internet, such as Facetime or WhatsApp calls, they would be able to go through because of the WiFi connection.
Will I Get Notified If Someone Called Me When My Phone Was on Flight Mode?
You won’t get notified if someone calls you when your phone is in flight mode. This happens because flight mode, which is the same thing as airplane mode, blocks transmission signals from your device, and the person will not be able to reach you.
Does Airplane Mode Stop Incoming Calls?
Yes, airplane mode stops incoming calls. Once you turn ON airplane mode, your cellular network, WiFi, and Bluetooth services are OFF. But while you can still manually turn ON WiFi and Bluetooth, it is not the same for your cellular network. This is why if someone tries to call your mobile number, it won’t go through.
Options for Making Calls When the Phone Is on Airplane Mode
While Airplane mode limits calls through the cellular network, there are other options you can use if you still want to make calls while using flight mode. These are some of them that would work when using a WiFi connection.
- You can make Facetime calls on airplane mode. However, this only works for iPhone devices.
- You can make calls over the internet using WhatsApp, on Airplane mode but with a WiFi connection.
- You can also make calls using the Messenger app on Airplane mode but with WiFi.
Things You Can and Can’t Do When Your Phone Is on Airplane Mode
Here are some things you can’t do when your phone is on Airplane Mode:
- When your phone is in airplane mode, you can’t make or receive calls over a cellular network.
- While in airplane mode, you can’t send or receive text messages over a cellular network.
- You cannot browse web pages using cellular data when your phone is in airplane mode.
On the other hand, here are some things you can do when your phone is on airplane mode.
- You can turn ON your Bluetooth and WiFi when your phone is in airplane mode.
- You can connect your Bluetooth to an external speaker and listen to songs.
- You can receive messages and calls from apps that use a WiFi connection. These apps include WhatsApp, iMessage, Facebook messages, Instagram, etc.
- You can also play games on your phone while airplane mode is turned ON (if it’s an online game, you might need WiFi).
Frequently Asked Questions
What Happens When Someone Calls You on Do Not Disturb?
When someone calls you on Do not disturb, the call ringtone is silenced, and so the person is not alerted that you called or not. Do not disturb is set to silence all types of notifications associated with your phone and leave you to rest without being awoken by calls, texts, or loud alarms. After turning off DND, you can still note down who reached out to you either by call or text message.
What Do You Hear When You Call Someone on Airplane Mode?
When you call someone on airplane mode, a recording says, “The subscriber you’re dialing is not available,” or “the phone is switched OFF.” These responses mimic when the phone is switched off, which is the effect that airplane mode has on incoming calls.
So, in case you’ve been asking, what happens when someone calls you on airplane mode?Now, when someone calls your phone while it is on airplane mode, you know what to expect. Airplane mode and the Do not disturb function play a part in blocking the disturbance that comes from handling devices that are always active for most of the day. And in all these, the two options also provide a much-needed timeout from the internet.