If you’re interested in SMS marketing, you may have heard of a dedicated short code. But what exactly is it? In short, a dedicated short code is a unique, five or six-digit phone number used for mass text messaging and SMS marketing. It allows businesses to send and receive high volumes of messages quickly and easily.
Unlike shared short codes, which are used by multiple businesses, dedicated short codes are used exclusively by one company. This means that the short code is branded to the business, making it easier for customers to remember and associate with that particular brand. Dedicated short codes are typically used by larger companies with high message throughput and a need for reliable, non-filtered messaging.
Read also: What is a Shared Short Code?
What is a Dedicated Short Code?
If you’re looking to send mass text messages and SMS marketing, then a dedicated short code may be the perfect solution for you. A dedicated short code is a unique 5 or 6 digit phone number that is used exclusively by one brand or company. Unlike a shared short code, which is used by multiple companies, a dedicated short code allows you to have complete control over your messaging campaigns.
One of the biggest advantages of a dedicated short code is that it allows you to build brand recognition and trust with your customers. By having your own unique number, you can create a memorable keyword that is associated with your brand. This makes it easier for customers to remember and opt into your messaging program.
Dedicated short codes also offer a higher level of reliability and security compared to shared short codes. Since only one brand is using the number, there is less risk of messages being flagged as spam or blocked by carriers. In addition, dedicated short codes are often used for high-volume messaging, making them a great option for companies that need to send a large number of messages quickly.
While dedicated short codes can be more expensive than shared short codes, they offer a wide range of benefits that make them a worthwhile investment for many companies. With a dedicated short code, you can create a unique messaging program that is tailored to your brand and your customers’ needs.
Read also: What is a Vanity Short Code?
Benefits of a Dedicated Short Code
A dedicated short code is a unique five or six-digit number that is exclusively used by a single brand or organization for SMS marketing campaigns. Here are some of the benefits of using a dedicated short code for your SMS marketing campaigns:
1. Improved Brand Recognition A dedicated short code allows you to create a custom keyword that is easily recognizable by your customers. This can help increase brand recognition and recall, which can lead to higher engagement and conversion rates.
2. Enhanced Customer Experience With a dedicated short code, you can personalize your SMS marketing campaigns to meet the specific needs and preferences of your customers. This can help create a more positive and engaging customer experience, which can lead to increased loyalty and repeat business.
3. Increased Message Deliverability Dedicated short codes are less likely to be blocked or filtered by carriers compared to shared short codes. This means your messages are more likely to be delivered to your customers’ mobile devices, which can help increase engagement and conversion rates.
4. Improved Analytics and Reporting With a dedicated short code, you can access powerful analytics and reporting tools that can help you track the success of your SMS marketing campaigns. This can help you optimize your campaigns for better results and higher ROI.
5. Higher Throughput and Messaging Speeds Dedicated short codes offer higher message throughput and faster messaging speeds compared to shared short codes. This means you can send more messages to more customers in less time, which can help increase engagement and conversion rates.
In summary, using a dedicated short code for your SMS marketing campaigns can help improve brand recognition, enhance customer experience, increase message deliverability, provide better analytics and reporting, and offer higher throughput and messaging speeds.
Read also: How to Get a Short Code Number
How to Get a Dedicated Short Code
Getting a dedicated short code can be a great way to build your brand, improve your SMS marketing efforts, and increase customer engagement. Here are some steps to help you get started:
- Choose a provider: Look for a reliable provider that can help you navigate the process of obtaining a dedicated short code. Some popular providers include SimpleTexting, Clearstream, and EZ Texting.
- Apply for a short code: Once you’ve chosen a provider, you’ll need to apply for a short code. This typically involves filling out an application and providing information about your business and the type of messages you plan to send.
- Get approval: Your application will need to be approved by the Short Code Registry, which is responsible for managing and allocating short codes in the United States. Approval can take several weeks, so be patient.
- Set up your account: Once you’ve been approved, you’ll need to set up your account with your provider. This may involve configuring your messaging settings, setting up keywords, and integrating your short code with your existing systems.
- Launch your campaign: With your short code up and running, you can start launching your SMS marketing campaigns. Be sure to follow best practices for SMS marketing, such as getting permission from recipients, providing clear opt-out instructions, and avoiding spammy or misleading messages.
Overall, getting a dedicated short code can be a powerful tool for improving your SMS marketing efforts. By following these steps and working with a reputable provider, you can set yourself up for success and start engaging with your customers in a more meaningful way.
Read also: 10DLC Number: What It Is and Why It Matters
Dedicated Short Code Pricing
When it comes to dedicated short codes, pricing can vary depending on several factors. In general, dedicated short codes tend to be more expensive than shared short codes due to their exclusivity and customization. Here are some key factors that can affect the pricing of dedicated short codes:
Dedicated short codes require a leasing fee, which can range from $500 to $1,500 per month depending on the type of short code and the provider. Vanity short codes, which are customized to spell out a specific word or phrase, tend to be more expensive than random short codes.
In addition to the leasing fee, you will also need to pay a hosting fee to use a dedicated short code. This fee covers the cost of hosting your short code on the provider’s platform and ensuring that it is properly configured and maintained. Hosting fees can range from $500 to $1,000 per month.
Most dedicated short code plans include a certain number of message credits per month. These credits can be used to send and receive text messages. If you exceed your monthly message limit, you may need to pay additional fees. Some providers offer custom high-volume plans for businesses that need to send large volumes of messages.
Dedicated short codes offer enterprise-level throughput, which means they can handle a higher volume of messages than shared short codes. This is important for businesses that need to send large volumes of messages quickly and efficiently.
Free Incoming SMS Messages
Many dedicated short code plans include free incoming SMS messages, which means you won’t be charged for messages that are sent to your short code. This can be a cost-effective option for businesses that receive a lot of incoming messages.
Unlimited Contacts and Keywords
Dedicated short codes offer unlimited contacts and keywords, which means you can send messages to as many contacts as you want and use as many keywords as you need. This is important for businesses that need to reach a large audience and target specific groups of customers.
In conclusion, dedicated short codes can be a powerful tool for businesses that want to engage with their customers through text messaging. While they may be more expensive than shared short codes, they offer a level of exclusivity and customization that can help you stand out from the competition. When considering a dedicated short code, be sure to factor in the leasing fee, hosting fee, message credits, throughput, incoming SMS messages, and unlimited contacts and keywords.
Choosing a Dedicated SMS Short Code Provider
When it comes to choosing a dedicated SMS short code provider, there are several factors you should consider to ensure you get the best service for your needs. Here are some important things to keep in mind:
One of the most important considerations when choosing a dedicated SMS short code provider is the cost. While you don’t want to skimp on quality, you also don’t want to pay more than you need to. Look for a provider that offers competitive pricing and transparent billing practices.
Different providers offer different features, so choosing one that offers the features you need is important. Some common features to look for include:
- Two-way messaging
- Custom keywords
- API integration
- Reporting and analytics
When it comes to SMS marketing, reliability is key. You need a provider that can deliver your messages quickly and reliably, without delays or downtime. Look for a provider that has a good track record of uptime and can provide references from satisfied customers.
SMS marketing is subject to strict regulations, so it’s important to choose a provider that is compliant with all relevant laws and regulations. Look for a provider that offers opt-in and opt-out mechanisms, and that can provide guidance on compliance issues.
Finally, choosing a provider that offers good customer support is important. Look for a provider that offers multiple support channels, such as phone, email, and chat, and that has a good reputation for responsiveness and helpfulness.
By considering these factors when choosing a dedicated SMS short code provider, you can ensure that you get the best service for your needs and that your SMS marketing campaigns are successful.